Caution and Warning System
- The primary caution and warning system is designed to warn the crew
of conditions that may adversely affect orbiter operations.
- Orbiter Lighting System
- The orbiter lighting system provides both interior and exterior
- Smoke Detection and Fire Suppression
- Smoke detection and fire suppression capabilities are provided in
the crew cabin avionics bays, the crew cabin and the Spacelab pressurized
- Payload Deployment and Retrieval System
- The payload deployment and retrieval system includes the electromechanical
arm that maneuvers a payload from the payload bay of the space shuttle
orbiter to its deployment position and then releases it.
- Payload Retention Mechanisms
- Non-deployable payloads are retained by passive retention devices,
and deployable payloads are secured by motor-driven, active retention