These scripts enable navigation. It requires javascript be enabled in your browser. Human Space Flight WebHuman Space Flight WebHuman Space Flight WebHuman Space Flight WebHuman Space Flight WebHuman Space Flight WebHuman Space Flight WebHuman Space Flight WebHuman Space Flight Web
Skip navigation to content.
Human Space Flight WebReturn to Human Space Flight home page
Human Space Flight Web
Human Space Flight Web

Photo-iss01e5025
International Space Station Imagery
Alexandria, Egypt
high res (0.9 M) low res (79 K)
ISS01-E-5025 (November 2000) --- This Nadir view of Alexandria, Egypt, was provided by a digital still camera image down linked from the International Space Station to flight controllers in Houston. Alexandria (Al Iskandariya) occupies a T-shaped peninsula and strip of land separating the Mediterranean from Lake Mariout. According to NASA scientists studying the Expedition One photo collection, the town was originally built upon a mole (stone breakwater) called Heptastadium, which joined the island of Pharos to the mainland. Since then, the scientists say, sedimentary deposits have added considerably to the width of the mole. Since 1905, when the city's 370 thousand inhabitants lived in an area of about four square kilometers between the two harbors, the city (population 4 million) has grown beyond its medieval walls and now occupies an area of about 300 square kilometers. The Mahmudiya Canal, connecting Alexandria with the Nile, runs to the south of the city and, by a series of locks, enters the harbor of the principal port of Egypt (note ships). The reddish and ochre polygons west of Lake Mariout are salt-evaporation, chemical-storage, and water-treatment ponds within the coastal lagoon.

Curator: JSC PAO Web Team | Responsible NASA Official: Amiko Kauderer | Updated: 10/30/2012
Privacy Policy and Important Notices